Thursday, April 12, 2012

The Blind Leading the Blind Stitch

So, I have a headache. I blame the 3 1/2 hours I just watched of Nova's documentary "Becoming Human". We evolved from Apes! We got pubic lice from Gorillas! There was more but that's what has decided to stay in my brain.

Back to my headache. I have one, and that means I can't wear my glasses for a long period of time. I planned on sleeping it off when I remembered that my sister-in-law gave me her pants earlier this week to hem. If she is like me she has like one or two good pair of pants to wear to work...and I have one of them. I need to get these pants hemmed yesterday.

Even though I am blind without my glasses, I figured what the heck, I will do my first blind stitch on my machine. I've been wanting to learn this stitch since forever, I just never had the foot. Well, I thought I didn't have the foot. Did you know that your machine comes with a baggy full of little feet?!! Even though I've had my machine going on a year now and I've seen the little bag but it has never clicked. I have a zipper foot, a darning plate (what the heck is it used for?!), a buttonhole maker and a blind stitch foot.

I start off practicing on some scrap fabric..and I'm glad I did. I went through a couple of edges before I got it right. Halfway through I realized that the springy thing on the side of my foot moved the guide!

I think that the blind stitch came out superb. You can't even tell that it's there...which I guess is the point. I should open up a shop that only does hemming! I would blind stitch the heck out of everything.

Things I've Learned:
  1. Blind stitching can be just as addicting as serging.
  2. This will probably be the easiest thing I will learn.


No comments:

Post a Comment