Wednesday, February 17, 2016

I've been crafting, I swear!

Since my comeback, I have taken on several quilting projects. Some are in the beginning stages - just a thought in my head, others are almost completed, and the rest are stuck in the middle. 

I am the first to admit that I am horrible at completing something, anything. I'm great at starting a project, but horrible at finishing it. I either lose interest, realize I need more supplies, decide to start another project simultaneously, etc. This is the reason why I have yet to finish a cross stitch pattern or make a dress. I have the cutest craft room...but nothing to show for it. While this maybe the case, I still follow the mantra, "do what you love, not what is expected."

I hate the feeling of being bogged down by a project, forced to finish for someone else. I think this a common feeling among artists. Don't tell us what to do and when to finish! Sewing/quilting, like painting, requires inspiration and excitement. There's no fun in forced artwork. 

For this very reason I have stopped giving someone a date of when to expect a piece. I'll get to it when my heart is ready. This also stems from the fact that I do not want to screw up because I rushed through a piece. I want to take my time, enjoy the process and love the outcome. 

With that being said, I have the following projects to complete:

Project: Bordered Periwinkle Quilt (pattern by Missouri Star Quilt Co.)
For: My Mom
Status: I have completed the top quilt except for adding the borders. This needs to be followed with attaching the batting and bottom quilt as well as temporary knotting and binding. My mom has asked that I do not machine quilt the top, instead giving it to her so she can top quilt by hand. 
The Hold Up: It's a big quilt and I am afraid I am going to mess up the backing when I temporary knot and then the time it will take to hand bind. It's just a matter of setting aside time to concentrate and get it done. 

Project: Personalized Pillow
For: My Mom
Status: Not started. 
The Hold Up: My mom has requested a personalized pillow made out of an old pretty dress of mine. This will be something she can cherish because it was made by me using personal material. I love this idea and it is a fairly simple project to complete. I asked her to provide what size pillow she wants but she has yet to get back to me. This too is a simple fix, but I am procrastinating. I could basically just pick a size and be done with it. 

Project: Scrap Buster Table Runner (pattern by Missouri Star Quilt Co.)
For: Priscilla, lifelong friend
Status: Almost done.
The Hold Up: I am scared to screw up the batting/backing. I've never done a elongated diamond shape table topper. I regret picking a backing fabric that has a design; what if the fabric shifts and the design is crooked? How do I bind the points of the diamond? Most importantly, what top quilt design do I do? This is another project where I just need to sit down and figure this shit out.

Project: Honeycomb Curtains
For: Me!
Status: Still on the first panel
The Hold Up: I am not using a pattern and this is all coming from my brain. I started off with the notion that I was only going to have honeycombs at the bottom of the quilt, slowly cascading upwards to a solid white curtain. I completed what I thought was my completed block of combs, placing the pattern up against the window. I wasn't pleased with the layout so I decided to continue with the pattern all the way to the top of the curtain. That means a lot more cutting and sewing. 




No comments:

Post a Comment